Tuesday, February 8, 2011

The House Continues to be Updated

Day 1:

Ok, so a lot of people know this story already, but for those of you who don't, here's the d.l. (down low). Emily discovered that one of our bathroom sinks was leaking water. She called me up at work and expressed her anger at losing three rolls of toilet paper. I was equally upset as well. After discussing different ways to save the remaining T.P., we moved on to the leaking sink. After I got home from work, I discovered that the p-trap pipe was cracked and leaking. I took it with me to Lowe's (a great place) to get another one. Unfortunately, they were out of stock of the one I needed. So, I went to Home Depot and bought the one I thought was correct, since all of Home Depot employees were elsewhere. I brought it back home and stuck it under the sink, only to find that one side fit and the other side was too small for the p-trap I just purchased! So, I returned the drain back to Home Depot and looked for the correct size. No good. I decided to drive to the next closest Lowe's to see if they had the correct part. Well, after standing around for 30 minutes waiting for someone to answer my call (I pushed the little button for when you need help), I just decided to leave. Sooooooo, I went back to the original Lowe's (a great store) and found out that I HAD purchased the correct pipe from Home Depot, but I just needed a pipe reducer. So I purchase that stupid little $3.00 reducer and head back to Home Depot to repurchase the EXACT SAME pipe I had returned an hour ago. When I get there and walk up to the doors, I realize that it's 9:05pm and they closed at 9:00pm.

Day 2: I finish work and go purchase that stupid pipe. Get home, hook it all up (everything fit), turn it on and.........the pipe above the p-trap is now leaking! Piece o' poop! So I take that pipe off (the one that holds your drain that you can see at the bottom of your sink) to see what was wrong. As I unscrew the drain, I can see the sink itself has rusted through. So THAT needs replacing! Too bad they don't make 18 inch round sinks anymore, because that's the one I have. So now I'm up to replacing the vanity. After discussing things with Emily and the guy at Lowe's, we have now gone from this:



To this:




Thank goodness for a tax refund, but I'm still upset that a sink leak turned into a whole bathroom remodel. Of course, I'm not upset about getting to do this project. I'm looking forward to it and I think it's going to look pretty nice when we're done. I'll be sure to update you all as the project progresses.

So, during my bathroom demolition, Emily decided that I should take a break of banging and making loud noises and install a ceiling fan in our living room. I thought that sounded like fun. I had to install the bracing to hold up the fan, that's what that little box and the wires are.





Then I put the fan up!


This description sounds like I did it as fast as on one of those T.V. shows. It looks REALLY nice and it moves A LOT of air.

2 comments:

Amy said...

Just reading about the pipe experience gave me anxiety -- what a pain! Good thing you've got so many skills. Bow hunting skills. Bathroom remodeling skills. The living room looks great!

MARTHA FAGGARD said...

YAY!! A COOL LIVING ROOM IN THE SUMMER TIME! MOM